A Fast Food Odyssey - by Neil McInnes

Our local Fete is over this year
And the money raised brought much good cheer.
For your hard work, our president cracked
We’re giving vouchers - two free Big Macs.

Whilst fast food outlets I do detest
I was genuinely grateful none the less.
So I grabbed Mylanta and the freebie vouchers
 And went in search of the famous arches

Obese and languid, some coarse and loud
I stood in line with the Maca crowd.        
Ankle biters, pimply teens
An unhealthier lot you’ve never seen.

The sales girl spoke in a language odd
Some mumbled jargon from the land of Nod.
But vouchers clear and hand signs won
I got my burgers - a coffee, and a bun.

Gripped by hunger I was strangely driven
To take a mouthful of my Yankee heaven.
The burger squelched like a fresh cow pad
And it ponged like an up-chuck I’d once had.

Then shocked to the core, too stunned to speak
From around the edge, something yellow did seep.
My stomach squirmed, on the first bite
  A taste so vile I spat it out.

My bun was stale and the coffee bitter
So I placed them all in the bin for litter
And as I left I sadly realised 
American Junk food has sullied our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment